Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Wrapped up in flags

Today out of my brother's apartment window overlooking LA's Federal Building was another loud protest of horns and cheers. In their green t-shirts and dirty looks walked dozens of Iranians who look at me as if they know whose side I am on. Today was like all the other days since the election except for one thing...I looked up at the sky and saw an unfortunate thing. A plane flew in circles with a large green white and red flag with black font spelling "IRAN". Attached to the flag was the name "Cameron Yadadi".
I can't help but pause and ask myself, "but why?". With all the mayhem and misfortune occurring in Iran, with students protesting for fundamental rights, and with a government increasing international tensions, why must this guy use this chaos as an opportunity to advertise his name? Furthermore, why are Iranian-American youth who have stopped reading newspapers and books using these protests as an opportunity to rebel? If people truly respected what is going on in Iran right now and didn't want this to be just another set of deaths and injustices occurring in vain, I believe they should spend more time gaining knowledge than cheering at street corners in front of irrelevant buildings.

I'm just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment